We are very fortunate to live in an area that values the power of words, as well as the necessity of an active, supportive community. It is the generosity of this community – individuals, businesses, public and private organizations – that allows us to offer our services free of charge. And it is this community that continues to help us grow in order to reach an increasing number of people, with intensity and success.
Sources of income
Orange Literacy receives funding from a variety of sources, including:
- Individuals and family foundations
- Fundraising events
- Local business and industry
- Local, state and federal governments
- Public and private foundations
- United Way of the Greater Triangle
- The Orange County Partnership for Young Children
- Contracts with employers such as University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and UNC Hospitals
FY2014-2015 – Sources of Income
Direct Program Expenses
In FY2015, Orange Literacy used 75% of its income for direct program expenses. The benchmark for organizations our size is 75%.
FY2014-2015 – Direct Program Expenses
The Power of Volunteers
We were able to reach this unusually high goal due to the time, energy and expertise of our volunteers. Volunteer power – through tutoring, fundraising, event planning, financial management and other activities – saved us $221,455, almost half our budget.
FY2014-2015 – Volunteers
Orange Literacy believes in fiscal and programmatic transparency with partners and supporters.